Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Thought

I’ve just read on the Sydney Morning Herald website that the legal team of David Hicks is “confident” that the British Supreme Court will grant Hicks British Citizenship within the next 24 hours. This will, hopefully, fast track his release from Camp Delta at Guantanamo Bay where he has been held since the end of 2001. Why? Because Tony Blair condemned the USA’s detaining of British citizens at Camp Delta, declared it illegal and demanded that all British citizens held without charge and without legal proceedings being commenced should be released. The USA did as asked. John Howard has done no such thing and instead seems quite happy that a foreign power detains a citizen of his country without charge (Hicks was not charged until December 2004).

I’m not sure what disgusts me more, Howard’s total disregard for his country’s citizens or the Australia people’s uncaring attitude towards the whole thing. Convicted drug smugglers are seemingly more deserving of this nation’s sympathy and I hope someone can explain why that is to me one day because I fail to comprehend it at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home