Tuesday, September 21, 2004

32 Songs - Track 8

Never Ever - All Saints

Sometimes vocabulary runs through my head
The alphabet runs right from a to zed
Conversations, hesatations in my mind
You got my concience asking questions that i can't find
I'm not crazy
I'm sure I aint done nothing wrong
Now i'm just awaiting cos I heard that this feeling won't last that long


Whoosh.

That was my credibility going out the window. The selections have been eclectic, but reasonable within respectable taste guidlines, until now.

All Saints were a four-piece girl band that, I believe, never eventuated to anything. I do know that one of them had a daughter because, in a weird twist of fate, Ingrid looked after her while in England.

The simple truth of the situation is that I love this song. It was their first single and has what I like to trumpet as the worst lyric ever written "Sometimes vocabulary runs through my head/ The alphabet runs right from A to zed". There is something almost philosophical about it and at the same time completely not. The lyric is completely out of place when you consider that the song is a lament from a just dumped girl wondering what she did wrong.

It has a certain harmony that required me to listen to it a hundred times a day and drive my poor housemate Brett insane. The single also came with a huge poster of the girls lying on top of each other and this was promptly placed on the back of Brett's bedroom door causing his girlfriend, now wife, a certain consternation because he never took it down after her regular insisting that he do so.

I've moved on since then. Though when I dig through my CD collection and come across it I have to whack it on the player and listen to it four or five times while singing along.

I might be insane.

1 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

End of your credibility? Maybe... But if so, then I'm right there with you.

I can't stop myself from singing along to "Pure Shores" whenever I put the Beach Soundtrack on.

Perhaps we should begin a therapy group...

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home