Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Read:

I am a failure as a human being.

Not because I don't believe in God. Not because I hate cats. And not because I am not as good as I could be. I am a complete and utter failure as a human being because I have yet to do the one thing that my entire existence is based upon.

I've yet to assist in bringing forth the fruit of my loins, so nature has no other choice but to brand me a failure. I have displayed complete disinterest in the ultimate meaning of life - reproduction.

Those 20 year old men and women who are on to their third or fourth child are much better examples of humanity than I could ever be, unless, of course, I decide to put in some prodigious effort for the next few years. Thankfully the Australian Government seems to have a firm grasp of the real purpose of the species since they are forking out $3000 for every child born in the near future. They should be applauded for their foresight. As should the religious groups who protest about condoms and sex education in schools. We need to keep the human species going. The last thing we want is to have people having safe sex.

But is it just me or is there a slight flaw in their plan?

I haven't had kids yet for two reasons. Reason number 1 - I haven't found, or been able to hold a relationship together with, someone who I want to have kids with. Reason number 2 - I don't think I've been settled enough in my career choice or achieved the financial stability to afford to have children. To me these are fairly important reasons. I've been careful to have safe sex because I don't want to suddenly have a child I can’t care for properly. And apparently there are a large number of people who feel the exact same way I do. Funnily enough all these people tend to be what is called middle class.

So it seems those who are having kids are either safe enough financially, have found the right person or are just having kids because they haven’t thought about either of these things. And I've got a funny feeling that the latter outnumber the former by a fair amount. Which begs the question 'What does this mean for the future of the human race?'.

Is it possible that people who are unable to comprehend the consequences or have been unprepared due to certain pressures, i.e. $3000 and a lack of sex education, are having kids because they just don't understand? Will it be possible that people with economic difficulties and socially deficient environments and perhaps less education are the ones producing the majority of the human beings a couple of decades into the future?

To take this to it's most extreme consideration - Will only the stupid survive?

Will the future be filled with people who have no understanding of economics, social and cultural sensitivity, foreign countries and cultures, the operation of simple electrical devices and have only a minimal education? Will these individuals be in positions of responsibility and power? What will happen to the world?

I'm sure you are thinking that there is something you can do. You may have readjusted your priorities and are thinking of getting down to some serious bonking or adopting or turkey basting. And that's good! I'm glad to see that you are thinking positively. However there is one more thing I have to tell you.

It may be too late.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home